Monday, August 27, 2007

EATING SALAGUBANG

Photo from Yahoo! Images

Next to sleeping, eating is one of my major indulgences. If I may say so, I totally agree with a TV ad's statement that the Filipinos' favorite expression is 'Kainan na!' And so when our group had to decide what topic to pursue for our blog and we finished deliberating other suggestions, we still went back to basics -- food. Obviously, it's our mutual interest.

We decided to dwell on foods that are not commonly known or in some ways odd. Whether it's a traditional dish with a new twist or a totally new recipe, we hope that it will tickle our reader's curiosity as much as it did ours.

First on our menu is the Ginisang Salagubang (sauted beetle). I would have to admit that, although I was excited when we were just talking about it, I hesitated when eating time came. It's not easy for me to see a beetle as a food, when I grew up tying its leg with thread and whirling it into the air to coerce it to fly. I guess 'don't eat your toy' would have been a more appropriate reminder than 'don't play with your food'.

My first encounter with these beetles was during the cooking segment. When we opened the container I thought it smells like an old cabinet. But I guess it was just me and my delusions of its plausible taste. It started to smell like food to me when they started to sauté it with garlic.

Anyway, we still pushed through with our salagubang eating activity. All of us were clueless about how to eat it and how it would taste except for Pan, who had experienced this prior to our group picnic.

The inevitable moment came and we had to face our fears. One of our group mates suggested we eat it at Sunshine Park so we could scream louder, in case we want to. But there was no need for that. We ate it at school and were triumphant.

Pan taught us how to eat. We removed the wings and head. We took the belly and sipped it like a shrimp's head.

Initially, it tastes weird. But it wasn't so bad after all. I'm not sure if I've tasted anything like it before but it's basically salty. One of our classmates said it's even better if its adobo but ginisa is still good. Maybe we'll try it some other time and you should too.

Forgive my extensive story on how we dealt with the beetle. Earlier I used the word 'experience'. For me, it's the apt word. It's the time and what we did with it that's more remarkable, well, for me at least. I think that's the joy in trying odd foods with friends. You get to feel weird, together. If you think otherwise, then you might as well try odd foods by yourself and then you can share with us how it went. Nevertheless, try the Ginisang Salagubang and we're hoping to hear from you soon. Thanks!Ravmo blogger, Charise C. Bautista

No comments: