Sunday, October 07, 2007

The Invented Food Series: Tuna Shake Anyone?


By Jermaine Beltran

Recently, I was able to have time to relax just for a few hours, thanks to food, beverage and the company of friends.

One of my favorite beverages are shakes. Any kind of fruit or vegetable shake would be right for me, so long as it is sweet.

Last Saturday, I invited some of my college friends for dinner in Ridgewood Residence. I ordered some beef and a fruit shake. As I was playing the straw in my shake, I said, “Eureka!” and my seatmates were startled. “What if I try a tuna shake?” I got my inspiration through the tuna pizza that we specially ordered at the Baguio Country Club.

So I consulted with the resident chef of Ridgewood and he gave me this simple but healthy shake.

The On-the-Go Tuna Shake

2 cans of chunk white tuna packed in oil
2 tsp of WHITE Worcestershire sauce (Black is the same just that it does not look pleasant)
1/2 clove of garlic
1/4 Sweet Onion
*Optional: White or muscovado sugar if you are not used to seafood shakes.

Place the contents in a blender and set to "puree" for 90-120 seconds.
Pour in a large bowl and allow to chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Add crackers for extra yum and texture.

The Tuna shake tastes like tuna, of course. However, if you want to supplement your diet with a healthy alternative for your usual drinks, this is for you.

I personally like it because I love tuna, either cooked or raw, solid or pureed. It is suitable for those having a workout in the gym because of the fish's high protein content and Omega 3 which makes the body leaner and healthier. I recommend it to everyone who wants to change their lifestyles, from fatty to lean and healthy.


No comments: